- Emergency Patients: Only Priority 1 and 2 patients will be seen at the Steve Biko Academic Hospital. These are patients in need of Emergency Specialist Medical Care, i.e. life threatening within 2 hours, which cannot be rendered at the Regional- or District Hospital, the clinic or the Medical practitioner.
- Steve Biko Academic Hospital is a academic hospital. No walk-in patients will be seen.
- Children are not allowed to visit in Paediatric wards for infection control purposes.
The Nursing Service is responsible for the 24 hour care to inpatients as well as the care to outpatients in clinic times.
The department is divided into 10 Nursing Areas, each headed by an Assistant Director. The patient care office is the central point for enquiries and delivers 24 hour service.
The visiting hours in the wards for your convenience:
- 14:00 – 16:00
Children are not allowed to visit in Paediatric wards for infection control purposes.
The Steve Biko Academic Hospital is not a training school for nurses, but provides practical learning opportunities to students of University of Pretoria (tel: 012 354 2125/1784) as well as to students of Nursing Colleges of Gauteng (Central Gauteng Selection Centre, (tel: 011 644 8946) and Tshwane University of Technology (tel: 012 382 5197).
Posts go vacant throughout the year this include Registered nurses, staff nurses as well as assistant nurses. Only individuals that are registered at the South African Nursing Council can be considered for posts.
When application of advertised posts are made the following documents must accompany the application:
- SANC Receipt;
- Certified copies of all qualification;
- A Curriculum Vitae and a Application form (Z 83);
- The choice of the specialty of your interest (e.g. Medical ward) need to be indicated.
For enquiries, contact Mr. J J Ngcobo, tel: 012 354 1843.